Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Ordinary and special dividends are added to the original share price when computing total return.
Overall performance, or “total return,” is calculated by taking the average annual total return of the five securities in a participant’s portfolio. Total return of an individual security is defined as the percentage change from the closing price on the final trading day of the year adjusted for stock splits, rights offerings and spin-offs since the start of the competition from the closing price on the final trading of the previous calendar year.
We are so grateful to have Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP providing legal services, Deloitte conducting an audit of the contest, and Rothstein Kass preparing our year-end tax filing.
Performance is calculated at the end of each trading day (Eastern Time). There may be a 1-2 hour delay before the website refreshes.
The contest begins the first trading day of the calendar year and ends the final trading day of the calendar year.
No, Portfolios with Purpose is a mock stock portfolio competition. No actual stock is purchased.
All entry fees are held in an escrow account at JP Morgan Chase.
Portfolios With Purpose is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit institution. Contributions to Portfolios With Purpose are tax deductible. Our EIN is 30-0721627.
Only portfolios in the top standings (Novice Class, top 10 players; Professional Class, top 5 players; Master Class, top 2 players) are able to be viewed by all contest participants on the website. However each player has the option to keep their stock picks private by changing their privacy setting on their personal profile page by clicking edit profile. There will be a snapshot of all winners' portfolios at the conclusion of the contest.
Not at this time. If you’re interested in making a bigger contribution, you can make a tax deductible donation directly to Portfolios with Purpose (to help support our overhead costs :-)
Trading is not currently permitted. If limited trading was permitted (2-3 trades per contest), would you be more or less likely to participate? Please email your thoughts to email@example.com.
Portfolios with Purpose is not responsible for travel expenses with regard to the Master Class lunches.
Portfolios with Purpose retains the authority to reject or accept any charity in its sole discretion. Certain organizations are ineligible based on the following guidelines:
- Organizations that do not have a 501(c)(3) exemption, except for public schools
- Community trusts or similar organizations, including Charitable Remainder Trusts, Donor Advised Funds, Family Foundations, or charitable organizations classified as private foundations or trusts.
- Fraternal and labor organizations, lobbying groups, partisan political organizations, candidates, or to support specific legislation
- Anti-business organizations or organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, disability, religion, ethnic or national origin, or sexual orientation.
- Religious programs or organizations, except when the activities being sponsored are non-sectarian.